Car Accident FAQs

Missouri Car Wreck Injury LawyerBeing in a car accident can be a frightening experience, especially if you or other occupants of your vehicle are injured. We hope you’ll never have to deal with that scenario. But the following list of questions and answers may help you if you’re ever in a traffic crash. And if you need to talk to an attorney today, call us for a free consultation: 844-443-8385.

What should I do if I’m involved in a crash?

Your first priority is to make sure everyone in your vehicle is safe. If no one is injured and it’s safe to do so, check on the drivers of other vehicles. Call 9-1-1 if anyone is injured, and if injury victims are conscious, try to keep them calm and still until help arrives.

Do I need to call the police?

Even in a minor accident, it’s always a good idea to call the police. The dispatcher can decide whether an officer needs to be at the scene.

Should I move my vehicle?

Some people mistakenly think that they have to leave their cars as-is until accident investigators arrive. But that’s not true – accident investigations take time, and moving your vehicle does not impact the outcome. If you can safely move your car out of traffic, do so, but stay near the scene of the accident.

What should I do if my car isn’t working?

If your car is damaged to the point it’s not drivable, turn on your hazard lights (if they’re working). Determine whether it’s safe to leave your car – if the crash occurred in the middle of a busy intersection, you are safer staying in your car with your seatbelt fastened until police arrive.

What information should I exchange with other drivers?

Get full names and contact information for other drivers. Ask for the name of their car insurance provider and the policy number, as well as their driver’s license number. If any witnesses are on the scene, ask them for their contact information, too.

When should I contact my insurance company?

Notify your insurer as soon as possible following an accident. When you make that phone call, state only the facts of the accident. Avoid making any statements about fault.

Do I need to talk to a lawyer?

If anyone was injured in the accident, contact an attorney. An experienced personal injury attorney can advise you what steps to take next. Bley & Evans has helped plenty of people in and around Columbia with their car accident cases, so if you need assistance, call us today to request a free consultation: 844-443-8385.

How do I get my car repaired?

Your insurer will tell you what steps to take to have your car repaired. Usually, they’ll tell you where to take your car to get a repair estimate, which is then submitted to the insurance company. Depending on your policy details, you may have to pay a deductible before repairs can begin.

What should I do if the other driver’s insurance company calls me?

If you receive a call from the other insurer and haven’t yet talked to an attorney about your accident, state only the facts of the crash. If you have an attorney, don’t answer any questions and direct the company to call your lawyer. Insurance companies may try to convince you to make a recorded statement or admit fault, but you should avoid doing either of those things.

Do I need to see a doctor?

Even if you believe you’re uninjured, you should see a doctor if you’ve been in a car accident. Some injuries may not surface until hours after a crash, but a doctor can examine you to make sure you get the appropriate care.

If I am injured, who pays for my medical care?

Initially, it may be your own car insurance or medical insurance that covers the cost of your medical care. However, if the other driver or drivers are found to be at fault for the crash, you may be entitled to compensation under their insurance policies. Especially if your injuries are debilitating or long-lasting, you should consult an attorney about your options. You may even be entitled to compensation for lost wages.

What happens if I’m partially at fault for the accident?

In Missouri, being partially at fault in a car crash does not necessarily prevent you from receiving compensation for your injuries.

Don’t Wait to Get Help

Personal injury cases must be filed within a certain amount of time following a car crash, so don’t wait to ask for help. Request your free, no-obligation consultation today by filling out our online contact form, or by calling us at 844-443-8385.